Before you call us ...
These simple tests may help determine the source of the problem.
These tests may save you time and money.
PROBLEM: Static, A Clicking Sound or No Dial Tone
Look for symptoms such as cracks in the telephone set, a broken or frayed cord or telephone lights that don't work. If you find one or more of these symptoms, unplug or replace that piece of equipment to see if trouble clears.
PROBLEM: Trouble On Only One Telephone Set or Can't Call Out
The trouble most likely is with the telephone set, the cord or the telephone wire inside the premises. If you have another telephone set or spare telephone cord, plug it into the jack. If it works, the problem is with the first telephone set or the cord. If it doesn't work, the problem is probably the wiring.
PROBLEM: Trouble On All Telephone Sets or Can't Call Out
Possible trouble on one telephone set or piece of equipment can cause the line to lose dial tone until that piece of equipment is removed from the line.
1. Unplug all telephone sets, answering or FAX machines, caller ID units, and computers from the wall jacks inside your home. 2. After a few minutes, try a traditional wire-line telephone set on several of your telephone jacks.
3. If the telephone set does not work in any of the jacks, try a different non-cordless telephone set.
4. If the second or third telephone sets you try don't work, proceed with Outside Testing (below).
1. Take one of your traditional wire-line telephone sets (choose one that doesn't have a built-in speaker or lights) to your Network Interface Device (NID). (The Network Interface is where our outside line and your inside telephone wiring connect.) This box is usually located on the outside wall of your home near the electric meter.
2. Use a screwdriver to open the bottom or left portion of the NID
3. Disconnect the modular telephone plug from the test jack inside the box and follow these steps:
a. Plug your telephone set into the NID test jack.
b. Make a telephone call and listen for the problem.
4. If you have the same trouble with:
a. One of the telephone sets, the cord or telephone set you were using is probably defective.
b. Two different telephone sets, the trouble is probably outside your home.
Three Options To Repair the Wiring Inside Your House:
1. You can call us.
2. Pay someone else to do the work for you.
3. Repair the problem yourself.
Click to enlarge.